Wednesday, March 19, 2008

WSOP Auditions...Day 1!

Well, day 1 of the WSOP open dealer auditions was hectic to say the least. With over 350 people showing up to try out to deal this prestigious event things ran a little long. I arrived at about 7:10 am this morning and didn't actually get to be seen until 12:30pm because there were already so many people ahead of me. I was told by people who arrived as early as 6:30 am that when they arrived there were already over 100 people in line.

Upon arriving I found that I would need to deal 1 hand each of PLO, 7 Stu 8 or better and 2-7 triple draw. Having dealt plenty of 7 stud 8 and knowing pot limit I was pretty confident about them. I had never even seen 2-7 triple draw though and asked the other waiting dealers a lot of questions to make sure I was ready.

When my number was called I went and sat down to play while awaiting my turn in the box and watched the other dealers so I could get a better feel for the game, fortunately 8 others from that table got into the box before I had to step in so I got get a very nice feel for the game mechanics. Then it comes my time in the box...I breeze through the PLO and 7 Stud8 as expected. Now it is time for the 2-7 triple draw...I deal out the hands, take the discards, burn, pass out the draws...everything flawless...at the end of the hand only 2 players remained...and I misread the damn hand! Yep, that's right, with one player having A7643 and the other having 96432 I almost awarded the pot to the player with the A7 high, misreading it as 76 high because I forgot that the A was high and not low in this game. In the end I was point short of making it on the score sheet and was told by the rooms poker boss that I should return next week and he had every confidence that I would pass the 2nd time around. I spoke with him at length about why I messed that up and he seemed to understand. He let me know, and I believe it, that a lot of people do that the first time but almost no one does it a second time because the first time is such a traumatic event. Anyway that about sums up my day, I will update on other events happening the area during the week and let you all know how my 2nd WSOP Audition goes next Tuesday.

0 comments:

Staff

  • Elmseeker (Eric Benoit)
  • SkieTala (David Berthiaume)

Blog Archive

GrandCentral

Cake Poker

Cake Poker

Places I Play Poker

  • El Cortez
  • Fitzgeralds
  • Golden Nugget
  • O'Sheas
  • Poker Palace
  • The Plaza